The Reading Agency and libraries are delighted to present the 2017 Summer Reading Challenge, Animal Agents - a whole host of clever creatures, ready to solve all kinds of crimes! This band of furry, slippery and feathered friends is specially trained to use their skills and natural instincts to unravel mysteries – with a huge helping of fun along the way.
What is the Summer Reading Challenge?
- The Summer Reading Challenge is run by the charity "The Reading Agency" and takes place every year
- Every year there is a different theme
- This year's theme is "Animal Agents"
- The aim of the challenge is for children to sign up at their local library, read six books during the summer holidays by visiting the library three times.
- The Summer Reading Challenge is aimed at children aged 4 - 11 years. Children can sign up at any Northumberland Library and it is all completely free.
Enrolling your child
- Children can sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge from 8 July until 26 August 2017
- The last date to complete the challenge is Saturday 9 September 2017
- On joining, children will be given fun materials to get them started and additional incentives will be awarded as children progresses through the Challenge. Materials include stickers, collector folder and bookmark.
- Children’s reading can ‘dip’ during the long summer holidays but the Summer Reading Challenge helps children to keep up their reading skills and confidence.
- Under 4's can take part too! They will be given a 'Pre-School Card' and will have to collect six stickers. On the back of the card there are activities that under 4's can do with their parents or carers
- Materials for Children with Visual Impairment are available. Please ask at your local library for more information
Activities in Libraries
There will be lots of activities taking place across libraries over the summer.
- Ever wondered what a snake feels like or a tortoise? How about getting up close to a Gecko? Come along and meet the friendly animals from Creatures up Close, during our animal handling events.
- Learn how to be a super pet owner with events from Blue Cross for Pets.
- Discover how to be a responsible dog owner and safety around dogs at our fun and interactive events with the Dogs Trust.
- Explore the world of cats during fun activities with Cats Protection and receive a free goody bag during the event!
- Meet a real life dog detective from Northumbria Police at Cramlington Library
We have some exciting animal events lined up so there's lots to do during the summer holidays at your local library. Find out more and reserve tickets at Northumberland Libraries Events.
We have 3 prize draws for family days out to be won throughout the Challenge. The prizes are: Hall Hill Farm, Kirkley Hall Zoo and Whitehouse Farm. The draws will take place on Friday 14 July, Friday 21 July, Friday 28 July and Friday 4 August 2017. Keep checking our Facebook page for the results.
What happens when my child has completed the Summer Reading Challenge?
- Children who have completed the Challenge will be invited to a special presentation in September and they will get a "gold" medal and a special certificate.
- Under 4's who have completed the Challenge will be presented with an "Animal Agents" certificate.
- All children who complete the Challenge will also be entered into a prize draw.
We are already preparing for the Challenge in libraries. If you can't wait until then, you can find out more, watch the official trailer, play games, enter competitions and lots more at the official Summer Reading Challenge website.
Keep checking our blog and social media pages for more library updates over the coming weeks.
Illustrations ©Tony Ross for The Reading Agency and Photos © Dale Cherry 2017 for The Reading Agency, with thanks to Newham Council and Calverton Primary School
- By: mylibrary
- Category: Blog